. ~ digital collage above by filigree moon ~ .

November 21, 2009

Fairies in the Pumpkin Patch

After a brisk walk through newly fallen leaves,
past the rough hewn gate, lies a field of glorious gourds.
  Trekking through the pumpkin patch,
 looking for just the right pumpkin for Thanksgiving day, resulted in a
 magical encounter.
The search for the perfect pumpkin was not a daunting task at all,
as ripened, pearly white pumpkins glistened in the last light of the setting sun.

  At first, a copper sparkle caught my attention.
Perhaps this is the one.
  As I walked closer, a flutter, ever so subtle,
beckoned me to look for a butterfly.
  Upon closer inspection, a dreamy glow revealed  a
winged creature not at all reminiscent of a butterfly, not even the wings.
  No ~ these wings were golden yellow,
curiously shaped like the Fall leaves that had
scattered the earthen floor just days before.
Only these leaves fluttered mightily, propelling a curious little...
 ~ could it be ~
fairy...

A closer look revealed a
most dainty, beautiful fairy, dressed in the
 colors of the autumnal season.

Closer, just a bit closer.

Wee little fairy eyes looked my direction, a bit surprised perhaps,
as the fairy began to flit away.

I stepped back.

As she swirled around me
the tiny fairy came ever so close,
winked and flew away.

Perplexed, I marveled at the vast array of pumpkins,
and the liliputian creature,
 when a delightful golden shine
garnered a glance.

Moving closer, I spied a tiny
gold-dusted tutu and golden ballerina shoes.

Closer, closer.  Now clearer.

Indeed!
A second leaf-winged fairy!

Her wings were emblazened in a glorious coppery hue.

Alas, beauty, presented before my eyes,
as never before seen,
in the blink of an eye,
disappeared  with
 the settled sun.

By moonlight, with a pumpkin of pure perfection,
 I began my journey back to the farmhouse,
guided by the dreamlike vision of Fall fairies
and the gift that is the beauty of nature.

May your Thanksgiving be enlightened and blessed.